Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Daily Spelling Practice

If you're looking for some simple and effective spelling practice pages for homework or seat work, then I've got a sweet treat for ya!  This freebie includes 5 different spelling practice pages including ABC order/ 3 times each, Stair Step Spelling, Pencil / Crayon, Spelling Sentences, and Picture Spelling.



Picture Spelling Page:  My students LOVE doing these as part of our weekly spelling routine!  After clapping and spelling each word, we talk about the word and it's meaning, and then the students write them down.  Once all words are written down, I give them time during our seat work time to make an illustration for each word.  Some words are tricky to make pictures for, so we just write a sentence for those.  I mean really, how do you draw "certain"?  :)

I have been using these for spelling homework this year, and I usually copy a mixed-skills math review page on the back.  This page, along with their weekly practice reader, is their daily homework.  One of my colleagues uses these pages for her daily seat work during her Daily 5 Centers for Language Arts.

You can grab these pages here!

What does your spelling homework routine look like?


2 comments:

  1. Hi! I found you through the TPT forums. I really like this spelling idea. I'm a huge fan of incorporating drawing and art into work!

    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm hopping over from the TPT forum! LOVE finding other 2nd grade bloggers!! That spelling sheet looks so fun and looks like something that could be added to my Word Work station. Thanks for the idea!

    Angela :)
    Hippo Hooray for Second Grade!

    ReplyDelete